Technical Director COCA (Center of Creative Arts)
Center of Creative Arts, St Louis, MO, US
Salary Range: $45,000 to 47,000 Annually
The Technical Director, reporting to the Artistic Director of Theatre, is responsible for the long-term upkeep, organization, production needs and day-to-day coordination all technical and facility needs for the Catherine B. Berges Theatre. This position will also oversee the performance events that utilize the booth of the Staenberg Performance Lab (SPL). This position will supervise technical project-based employees and will have design assignments on productions within the COCAPresents series.
Company Bio: COCA (Center of Creative Arts)
COCA (Center of Creative Arts) is a leading, multidisciplinary community arts organization committed to enriching lives and building community through the arts. As an innovative model for arts education and nationally accredited for artistic and educational excellence, COCA serves as a regional hub for learning in and through the arts for all ages from all backgrounds and skill levels. The organization was founded with the intention of being a place of artistic learning that would transcend the boundaries of geography, race, and class. COCA celebrates diversity in perspectives, backgrounds, artistic disciplines, and experiences, and believes everyone should have access to experience the arts. It has grown to become one of the most diverse cultural institutions in St. Louis, a position bolstered by a commitment to access and equity.
COCA offers a robust benefit package that includes:
- Access to health benefits, including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Health Savings Account (HSA) and company paid Life Insurance and Short & Long Term Disability coverage.
- Paid time off and sixteen (16) paid holidays.
- Complimentary tickets to COCA productions, subject to availability.
- COCA camps, classes & workshop discounts.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Develop, implement and monitor policies to ensure a safe work environment in the back stage, booth and on-stage areas of the Berges Theatre and SPL booth.
- Instruct and mentor COCA’s technical and design students partaking in the production.
- Maintain organized theatre storage areas. Conduct annual inventory, coordinate purchases and the removal of items no longer needed. Arrange to have these areas cleaned regularly to promote a safe, welcoming backstage area.
- Determine and recommend the necessary technical support, such as lighting, sound, video, projection, filming, recording, staging, and special needs necessary for COCA produced performances and events presented in the Berges Theatre and SPL.
- Hire, supervise and develop technical crew members working on COCA productions.
- Review all design plans, price materials and labor and advise on adjustments to meet budget.
- Coordinate the implementations of approved designs, set, and stage construction and management.
- Coordinate with production team on the technical specifications, costs and usage of renting additional technical equipment required for the implementation of a design in the Berges Theatre and SPL.
- Operate, maintain and safeguard the technical assets of the theater and the SPL booth, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, projection and communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities.
- Arrange for the repair and replacement of technical assets of the theatre and SPL booth; perform preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Manage specialty cleaning of theater spaces outside the scope of contracted maintenance crew.
- Collaborate with the Artistic Directors and the Operations/Facilities Department to maintain Capital budget for Berges Theatre and SPL booth for long term planning.
- Develop and manage the annual Berges Theatre maintenance budget and SPL.
- Maintain, review and revise the Equipment Inventory List and Operating Manual annually.
- Participate in the creative team for all COCA produced productions and provide designs for up to four (4) COCA produced productions each year.
- Participate in the technical staffing for COCA produced events.
- Work closely with the Operations Manager to staff Event Crew.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre or professional experience required.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in technical theatre is required.
- Familiarity with youth theatre, including the mentorship of high school technical theatre students is a plus.
- Working knowledge of technical theatre including equipment use and rigging required.
- Working knowledge of production development and theatre design required.
- Understanding of staff and materials budgeting required.
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- « Previous Job: Intern-Risk
- » Next Job: