Solar Technician Continental Energy Solutions
The Solar Technician works with the Energy Solutions Team performing varying corrective, preventive, and emergency maintenance and operations for solar PV systems and associated equipment. The primary objective is to maintain safe, effective, efficient, and profitable solar PV operation. Work may include existing operational solar sites, new construction, installation, startup / commissioning, and related project scopes.
Close interaction with O&M Manager, field supervision, and other team members, is critical to success in this role. The Solar Technician reports directly to the O&M Manager of Continental Energy Solutions.
Company Bio: Continental Energy Solutions
Continental Energy Solutions offers end-to-end solutions. We design, engineer, procure, install, commission, monitor, and maintain solar arrays, solar plus battery storage, and full microgrid solutions.
We offer an unbeatable team of engineers, project managers, and field supervisors, including NABCEP Certified Professionals, the gold standard in the solar industry. Together, our team works to provide our customers with clearly outlined costs, energy savings, and overall project ROI. We have built over 50 solar PV projects, many solar plus battery storage solutions, and installed over 350 electric vehicle (EV) chargers. Our project portfolio includes both rooftop and ground mount systems for big-box retail, warehouse, and campus solutions. With our experienced team and extensive project portfolio, we can build a solar solution for every customer to meet any challenge.
Working for Continental Energy Solutions provides:
- Collaboration, assistance, tools and resources for success
- An engaging and respectful workplace
- Pride working for the largest PV and battery storage installer in Illinois
The Solar Technician has responsibility for operation and maintenance related functions.
- Perform routine maintenance on solar, electrical, and, mechanical equipment associated with commercial roof and ground solar arrays.
- Troubleshoot complicated electrical and mechanical equipment including inverter faults, tracker faults, network communications, ground faults, collection issues, and general site performance issues.
- Conduct site maintenance daily, wearing all required safety equipment, to inspect, maintain, and repair equipment.
- The Solar Technician will work a schedule of 7:00am – 3:30pm Monday-Friday (40 hours) and will be subject to scheduled and unscheduled overtime and potential night work. The work schedule will vary, driven by peak maintenance periods.
- Maintain company tooling, facilities and equipment, and a clean, safe work environment.
Qualifications / Requirements
Requirements and Fundamental Competence
Continental Energy Solutions is a dedicated team of professionals who take pride in their hard work and quality results. Their camaraderie contributes to the company’s success.
- Understand solar photovoltaic, energy storage, and microgrid applications
- Understand electrical and mechanical functions of all components of solar site and associated equipment
- Ability to understand directions, follow procedures, and complete tasks with minimal oversight
- Experience with PV maintenance, including DC systems, AC medium voltage systems, and network communications and monitoring
- Experience with the operation of various SCADA systems
- Skilled in the use of testing equipment and tools such as Thermographic Electrical Inspection, I-V Curve Tracing, Meggers, and Ground Fault Detection
- Strong analytical and diagnostic capabilities to troubleshoot and correct identified problems
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC) and standard practices
- Ability to read and understand electrical single-line and three-line diagrams / schematics
- Ability to perform advanced electrical calculations
- Understanding of wire and conduit sizing as well as how to make adjustments for environmental factors
- Above average computer skills
- Creativity and confidence to develop innovative solutions and processes
- Find technical solutions for field systems questions
- Contribute to the efficacy of company operations
- Capable and motivated to research and synthesize existing information into new solutions
- Passion for renewable energy solutions
- Continuously educate oneself on the quickly evolving industry
- Collaborate with procurement to obtain material quotes and specifications from industry suppliers
- Provide timely written review reports from field operation, status, and constructive feedback as requested
- Communicate unfamiliar concepts to customers and team members effectively
- Display straightforward and empathetic communication
- Effective interaction working with dedicated and diverse team
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Must be able to work outdoors in inclement weather
- Ability to climb / work safely from a portable step ladder
- Ability to move and manipulate up to 45 kg (100 pounds)
- Willing to travel up to 30% of the time
- Willing to work nights during scheduled and unscheduled maintenance activities
- Willing and able to work on rooftops
Two (2) years of technical experience (electrical, etc.) and/or technical education
Valid and current Journeyman (or Master) Electrician License within the State
4+ years of electrical installation, troubleshooting, and repair experience
Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
Electrical Construction Experience
NABCEP Installation Professional Certification
Solar Technician is an exempt position.
Continental Energy Solutions is an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. Continental Energy Solutions seeks to provide a welcoming and inclusive environment of mutual respect, and provides employees a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. Continental Energy Solutions does not discriminate in employment on account of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, age, sex, sexual or gender orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status or unfavorable discharge from military service. Every employee is required to attend harassment training and agrees to comply with harassment and nondiscrimination policies.
Continental Energy Solutions and its subsidiaries value safety to a high degree. Every employee attends a Safety Orientation and must earn their OSHA-10 certificate prior to beginning their responsibilities. Each employee is expected to uphold safety standards consistently.
Please send your resume and letter of interest to careers@CESenergy.com