Senior Internal Auditor Commerce Bank
Job Category: Grade 08
Location: MO – St. Louis County Central – St. Louis – Clayton (8000 Forsyth) (63105)
MO – Kansas City Downtown/Plaza – Kansas City – KC Downtown Trust Building (922 Walnut) (64106)
As an important part of the Commerce Team, a member of the Internal Audit Department will be a trusted advisor and partner with the various lines of business. The Internal Audit Department will offer independent, objective, and risk-based assurance and consulting services that add value and identify solutions. Senior Internal Auditors should be skilled in auditing techniques and familiar with internal auditing standards.
*Position could be located outside of the Kansas City market.*
• Lead projects of various levels of complexity. Projects typically involve leading 2-4 auditors over a 6-8 week timeline.
• Determine audit scope by incorporating knowledge from past experience and existing audit documentation, completing process walk-throughs, evaluation of management’s strategic plans, discussions with business unit management, and overall evaluation
of risk. Develop detailed audit steps based on results of scope evaluation and assign to audit team members.
• Provide guidance to employees regarding assignments and issues identified. Be willing and capable to answer day-to-day
questions for team members. Manage team’s performance on completing assignments accurately and timely. Review work of
team members to ensure they meet department standards and audit step objectives.
• Complete detailed testwork on audits you lead or when working for others.
• Review and evaluate the quality of the documented processes and procedures that management has put in place to manage
the risks that are most consequential to the company’s financial performance and reputation.
• Find ways to use data analytics when evaluating controls and performing detailed audit procedures to improve the efficiency
and effectiveness of assignments.
• Identify internal control strengths and weaknesses or accounting errors. While performing internal control testing, use
experience to make judgments as to effectiveness of controls in both design and operation. Recognize unmitigated risks or controls that are deficient and make decision as to risk rating assignment for the identified issues.
• Communicate effectively with management. Be able to communicate scope of audit, on-going progress, and details on the identification of audit issues. Present issues and recommendations along with possible solutions to business unit management. Ability to identify and communicate the root cause of issues is important.
• Prepare audit reports that effectively summarize the scope and results of the audit. Monitor and review to ensure outstanding
audit issues are properly resolved.
• Perform special projects as assigned. Participate on significant business unit projects/consulting arrangements and periodically
report status of projects to audit management.
• Monitor risk throughout the bank and complete Risk Assessment Questionnaires (RAQ’s) as part of annual audit planning.
• Perform duties assigned in a manner to maintain chargeability, allow for timeliness of audit reporting, meet time budget goals,
and other department performance metrics set by management.
Flexible work arrangement, Full Time, typically 40 hours per week.
Qualifications / Requirements
• Prefer candidates with knowledge of audit standards and the financial industry. Knowledge or experience with trust / fiduciary concepts would be a plus.
• Ability to develop and coach team members with proven ability to achieve results through collaboration and teamwork.
• Independent thinker with strong decision-making skills.
• Motivated and organized self-starter with strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Inquisitive, agile and strong team player with excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to remain adaptable and resilient to all situations with an optimistic outlook and cast a positive shadow that is aligned
with our culture and Core Values.
• Intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Accounting, Business Administration, or Law, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 4+ years of industry audit experience and/or public accounting. Other banking knowledge will be also be considered. Preference of financial institution experience.
• Master's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)