Press and Communications Manager Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre’s Press and Communications Manager is a critical member of the company’s marketing team, reporting to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations. This position acts as a public representative of Opera Theatre via press and social media, and is responsible for cultivating and managing press relationships, developing and implementing a year-round PR strategy, and leading Opera Theatre’s efforts with local and national media. They are responsible for the creation of copy in marketing collateral including direct mail and print materials, developing and executing content management strategy for the company’s social media presence, leading program ad sales, assisting the ticket sales team as needed, and providing inter-departmental communication surrounding events and activities throughout the year.
Company Bio: Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2019, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 28 world premieres and 28 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults.
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of 35, which increases to approximately 500 during the Festival Season. Several hundred volunteer members of the Opera Theatre Guild provide support for all aspects of Opera Theatre’s work and advocate for the company throughout the greater St. Louis community. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $10.8 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget.
• Develop year-round media relations strategy for local, national, and international press that aligns with the company’s overarching marketing, PR, and advancement goals;
• Serve as primary contact for all media inquiries and artists’ PR agents;
• Maintain primary responsibility for the identification and cultivation of local, national, and international media relationships;
• Facilitate media coverage by crafting and delivering pitches, coordinating press conferences and cultivation events, scheduling interviews and media appearances, managing press ticket requests, overseeing arrangements for visiting press, and coordinating logistics for press events;
• Collaborate with the Director of Marketing and PR on the planning and implementation of annual media buys to ensure the cohesive and strategic balance of paid advertising and editorial coverage in local and national media;
• Act as a representative of Opera Theatre of Saint Louis at designated community events.
• Develop and track specific media relations KPIs on an annual basis;
• Contract and manage a seasonal company photographer;
• Develop press releases and media advisories;
• Maintain an organized and thorough OTSL press archive as well as external performance and program listings.
• Develop copy for most OTSL print materials – including but not limited to production marketing blurbs, brochures, postcards, flyers, letters, program book editorial, and print advertisements;
• Collaborate with the Manager of Donor Communications as requested to support the copywriting of the annual report;
• Source, route, and revise copy for interdepartmental projects as needed;
• Maintain and update the OTSL style guide for interdepartmental use;
• Provide final proofreading for all external publications;
• Measure success of print collateral through analysis of response rates and return on investment.
• Provide weekly updates internally to OTSL staff about press clippings, programs, and events across departments;
• Work with the Digital Marketing Manager as requested to support content creation for marketing emails and monthly e-newsletters;
• Solicit and maintain a seasonal artist database of unique press opportunities and community engagement interests for interdepartmental consideration;
• Maintain internal communications protocol for Opera Theatre staff and artists for press coverage and community events.
• Collaborate with Digital Marketing Manager to develop content management strategy and editorial calendar for OTSL’s social media presence – including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram;
• Manage communications through social media with key community influencers;
• Monitor social media conversation about OTSL, OTSL artists, and the opera industry while reinforcing positive brand or sales messaging for OTSL;
• Provide swift and friendly responses to all social media mentions and inquiries to increase online engagement and grow public sentiment.
Program Ad Sales
• Develop and execute an ad sales strategy for OTSL’s 160-page annual program book, in collaboration with Director of Marketing and Public Relations;
• Identify and execute plans to increase advertising revenue, including developing prospect lists of new advertisers;
• Serve as the primary liaison for all advertising inquiries and sales, tracking and managing the program ad sales process and revenue projections;
• Coordinate with the Graphic Designer to accurately manage advertising inventory across the book development process;
• Contract clippings service, photographers, and other necessary vendors to achieve the duties of this job description;
• Track and manage budget items pertaining to this job description, ensuring total expenditures remain at or below projections;
• Track and manage advertising revenue for program book.
Qualifications / Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree, communications or related degree preferred;
• 2 or more years working in public relations (entertainment, non-profit, or the performing arts preferred);
• Experience in successfully creating and executing PR strategy;
• Proven experience in social media content management;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
• Experience in managing budgets.
Ideal Candidate Profile
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• The ability to work as a team player;
• Strong attention to detail and follow-through;
• Familiarity with the St. Louis press landscape;
• Enthusiasm to identify new partners and actively participate in local conversations;
• A strong interest in building relationships with media partners;
• Knowledge of the operatic repertoire preferred;
• Experience in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign preferred.
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume and a letter that describes their interest in Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and outlines experience and qualifications for the position.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Anh Le, Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, 210 Hazel Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63119 (no calls, please)
Opera Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, gender, orientation, veteran or disability status.