Engagement Producer St. Louis Public Radio
St. Louis Public Radio is seeking a sharp and creative professional to be the primary eyes, ears and voice of STLPR online as our Engagement Producer.
The Engagement Producer will be the primary voice behind all of St. Louis Public Radio’s social media channels. This is an amazing opportunity to take the wheel of a trusted news brand and lead the newsroom’s engagement with our community.
The position calls for lots of experimentation and collaboration with our reporters and editors, as this is the spirit of our newsroom’s digital team in general. You’ll join a group that prizes creativity and pushes itself to experiment and innovate. The job also includes executing our current engagement strategies and developing new ones as the social media landscape evolves.
A great candidate will be familiar with metrics tools and comfortable making quick, independent decisions based on both quantitative and qualitative factors. We know numbers help us understand our successes and failures, but they aren’t the whole story when it comes to engagement and building our audience in communities — particularly communities of color — that St. Louis Public Radio hasn't served well historically.
Good judgment and journalistic ethics are also paramount in this position since you are the newsroom’s front-line ambassador to the community.
The Engagement Producer will be expected to get out in the community in person — once it’s safe to do so — to connect with both existing STLPR fans and communities unfamiliar with us through listening sessions, community forums and station events.
Most of the newsroom is working remotely now, and you will too, until St. Louis Public Radio determines how we can all work safely at the station headquarters. Even after we’ve moved back to the office, working remotely part time is possible with this position.
Qualifications / Requirements
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities is necessary. Other required skills/experiences for this position include:
- Social media management experience;
- Solid journalistic and personal judgment;
- 2+ years of professional experience in a daily news organization;
- A sharp eye for spotting trends in social media;
- A creative mind;
- A collaborative spirit.
- 2+ years of professional experience managing social media for a news organization is highly desirable. Comparable experience managing social media outside of journalism will be considered.
- A demonstrated personal interest in social media and innovative approaches to journalism and community engagement.
- Familiarity with the St. Louis region is helpful but not required.
Salary Range: $52,000 - $60,000/annually
In one document attached to your application please include:
- A cover letter outlining your qualifications, how your experience is relevant to the job and your ideas for how this position can best serve St. Louis area residents.
- Links to all of your active social media accounts (personal and those representative of your professional experience).
- An audit of our social media channels sharing your general impressions and ideas for our future.
St. Louis Public Radio is a service of the University of Missouri - St. Louis. In order to be considered for this position or to view the posting in its entirety, please visit UMSL's employment site and complete an online application. Job ID: 36265. For additional information, contact the supervising editor Brian Heffernan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to building a newsroom representative of the St. Louis region. St. Louis Public Radio and the University of Missouri - St. Louis are equal opportunity employers. We enthusiastically welcome those from underrepresented groups to apply.