Education & Engagement Coordinator Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre’s Education and Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for performing administrative duties and coordinating programs that support the Education Department’s year-round activities for young people and adults. This individual will work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, artists, students of all ages and socio-economic backgrounds, teachers, and the general public.
Company Bio: Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2019, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 28 world premieres and 27 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults.
The company’s annual budget size is approximately $10.8 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget. Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of 35, which increases to approximately 500 during the Festival Season.
Providing administrative and program support for all education activities, including:
- Coordinating the smooth function and implementation of auditions, recitals, extra-curricular events, retreats, regional college tours, and camps for students of the Bayer Artists-in-Training programs and Opera Camps, in coordination with faculty, volunteers, artists and teachers;
- Coordinating the successful implementation of Artists-in-Residence, Opera for Young People, Opera on the Go!, OOTG Sensory Friendly Performance, Music!Words!Opera!, Student Dress Rehearsals, Kids’ Club, Illuminating Opera, A Little Lunch Music, Spotlight on Opera, Opera Art Tours, Docent programs, and seasonal events;
- Providing support for education program marketing and advertising in cooperation with Marketing and Public Relations Department;
- Maintenance of education information on the OTSL website, the Artists-in-Training website, and social media platforms for the Department;
- Primary responsibility for accuracy and maintenance of education records in Tessitura (database) and mailings;
- Timely and accurate communications with key constituents including volunteers, teachers, students, parents, seasonal employees;
- Collecting and maintaining demographic data from volunteer committees and education programs for year-end reports, and responding to inquiries from other staff regarding data information for all programs;
- Assisting the Director of Education & Engagement with the facilitation of OTSL’s Arts Connection Task Force;
- Engaging in a practice of “continuous improvement” for all programming and communications, both internal and external.
Qualifications / Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in music or related field;
• Prior arts administration experience;
• Must be able to read music with fluency;
• Have a working knowledge of classical music, singing and opera repertoire;
• Strong computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, database (such as Tessitura), and basic graphics programs such as Canva and Photoshop;
• Extraordinary attention to detail, ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, anticipate programmatic needs/details in a timely and accurate manner
The ideal candidate will:
• Have strong verbal and written communication skills;
• Possess the ability to work as a team player;
• Have demonstrated proficiency in public speaking;
• Be proficient in social media communications including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Snapchat;
• Have experience with website editing and some graphic design;
• Have familiarity with audio and video recording/duplication.
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume along with a letter that describes their interest in Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and outlines experience and qualifications for the position.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Allison Felter, Director of Education and Engagement
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, 210 Hazel Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63119 (no calls, please)
Opera Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, gender, orientation, veteran or disability status.