Economic Development Reporter St. Louis Public Radio
Application Deadline: Friday, February 08, 2019
St. Louis Public Radio, an NPR member station, is seeking a reporter to cover efforts throughout the region to expand the economy and grow more jobs. This position will delve into what government, university and business leaders are doing to create more opportunity in St. Louis, as well as identifying what’s holding the region back.
We’re looking for someone who can spot trends and report on them ahead of the curve, whether in the startup world, trade, manufacturing or economic development projects. The ideal candidate should have a record of journalistic excellence, a passion for storytelling and enthusiasm for digging into complicated issues.
Characteristic Duties and Necessary Skills
- Be able to identify relevant stories, put them into context and explain them in an engaging manner.
- Be willing to experiment with multiple forms of storytelling, for radio and the web.
- Build a robust network of sources to help inform coverage and break new ground in our economic development and business reporting.
- Pitch and report ideas for daily spots, features and digital elements.
- Produce radio spots and features for radio.
- Write content for the website.
- Ability to work simultaneously on short and long-term projects.
- Ability to develop stories with multiple interviews, scene changes and strong knowledge of subject matter.
- Skill in creative use of sound, writing and storytelling.
- Recognize when national stories have particular relevance locally and zero in on the best way to tell them.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to develop mastery of all recording and production equipment and techniques.
Qualifications / Requirements
You should have at least five years experience reporting in a daily news organization and a B.A. or equivalent work experiences. Public radio experience is a plus as is knowledge of business and economic development. Other skills that we’re seeking are obtaining and using public documents in reporting; social media savvy; and digital storytelling chops.
If you have questions about the Economic Development Reporter position, email Editor Maria Altman: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (314) 516-5519.
St. Louis Public Radio is a non-profit, member-supported service of the University of Missouri - St. Louis (UMSL). In order to apply, you must visit the UMSL Careers page and apply online. Job ID: 28994.