Development Events Assistant Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre is hiring a temporary Development Events Assistant for mid-late August 2021 through the end of January 2022.
This full-time, temporary position will work with the Director of Development to plan and execute major fundraising and cultivation events, including the Holiday Celebration, Donor Appreciation Concert, and fall artist residency activities, as well as planning for the Spring Gala, spring artist residency activities, season tent dinners, and more. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
Company Bio: Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2021, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 32 world premieres and 28 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults.
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of approximately 40, which grows to approximately 500 during the Festival Season. Several hundred volunteer members of the Opera Theatre Guild provide support for all aspects of Opera Theatre’s work and advocate for the company throughout the greater St. Louis community. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $10.8 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget.
Executing plans and strategies for OTSL’s major fundraising events, including the Spring Gala, Holiday Celebration, and activities of the Intermezzo Society.
- Help manage timelines and prepare materials to solicit prospects; Assist with ongoing follow-up in collaboration with volunteer event leadership and OTSL’s development team;
- Execute pre-event communications and promotion efforts in collaboration with Development Assistant and the Marketing and Public Relations team, including creating and distributing event invitations, tracking responses, and following up with guests as needed;
- Help monitor and track event expenses and revenues to achieve event goals;
- Coordinate all preparatory and onsite event logistics, working with OTSL colleagues and external vendors to execute event plan and ensure a safe, enjoyable guest experience;
- Collaborate with the Director of Development to ensure events are staffed appropriately;
- Alert OTSL management promptly to guest needs and/or concerns and help resolve unexpected event challenges;
- Manage activities, communication, and events for the Intermezzo Society in coordination with the Director of Development;
Coordinating other donor events and cultivation activities, including the Donor Appreciation Concert and fall artist residency donor events:
- Communicate with hosts and guests to ensure a positive experience, and respond to any questions or concerns;
- Manage event budgets and re-allocate resources as needed to achieve event goals;
- Negotiate and contract with vendors to ensure competitive pricing while maintaining quality;
- Manage all logistical details, guest seating, and on-site personnel for each event;
- Provide oversight for all event logistics, manage event vendors, and respond to guest concerns or grievances in collaboration with OTSL development team.
- 1-3 years of event and/or project management with demonstrated results;
- Familiarity with Tessitura or a similar donor database;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Extraordinary attention to detail and a commitment to meeting deadlines;
- Proficiency with word processing and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated skill in managing multiple projects with overlapping deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Evening and weekend hours will be required as needed.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- An interest in opera and the performing arts; and
- Working knowledge of fundraising
$715 weekly salary, plus benefits.
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume along with a cover letter that describes their interest in Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and outlines experience and qualifications for the position.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Linda Schulte, Director of Development
(no calls, please)
At Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, we value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to being an equal employment/engagement opportunity workplace, and will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristics, protected veteran status, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process.
- « Previous Job: Development Officer/Development Director: Major and Planned Giving
- » Next Job: Volunteer Coordinator