Development Assistant Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre’s Development Assistant is a critical member of the Opera Theatre team, reporting to the Director of Development. They will support the company’s fundraising operations through development administration and the coordination of timely, personal acknowledgment of donors. This position also supports donor solicitation and stewardship efforts and is an active participant in the planning and execution of several annual fundraising events.
Company Bio: Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2019, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 28 world premieres and 28 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. Although the 2020 Festival was cancelled due to the pandemic, the company produced a robust digital season, with more than 30,000 views. Plans are underway for an exciting and innovative 2021 Festival, appropriately adapted to respond to the ongoing health situation. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving approximately 17,000 local children and adults.
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of 35, which increases to approximately 500 during the Festival Season. Several hundred volunteer members of the Opera Theatre Guild provide support for all aspects of Opera Theatre’s work and advocate for the company throughout the greater St. Louis community. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $10.8 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget.
Additional information is available at www.opera-stl.org
Manage the acknowledgment process for all contributions to Opera Theatre ensuring timely and personal recognition including:
- Prepare, track, and mail acknowledgment letters for the Director of Development, General Director, and Board Chairman; and
- Assign and track thank you calls from Director of Development, General Director, and members of the Development team.
Coordinate solicitation and stewardship for the Patron and Friends of the Festival programs, in collaboration with Senior Manager of Donor Engagement. including planning and execution of all development mailings.
Draft and route written materials for department, including:
- Solicitation and acknowledgment letters;
- Ongoing stewardship communication for donors; and
- Social media and digital communications for special events, membership acquisition, & renewals throughout the year.
Manage donor files and update filing procedures & practices.
Provide support for fundraising events and donor cultivation/acknowledgment events, in partnership with Manager of Special Events, including:
- Coordination of event solicitation materials;
- Preparation of event collateral including event nametags, place cards, and flyers; and
- On-site event support when needed.
Serve as additional staff support for daily gift entry when needed.
Proof-reading, appointment setting, and meeting preparation for the development department as necessary.
Qualifications / Requirements
Skills, Experience, Qualifications
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• An ability to build relationships with donors and prospective donors;
• An understanding of non-profit finance and related reports;
• Extraordinary attention to detail and a commitment to meeting deadlines;
• Proficiency with word processing and spreadsheets.
Ideal Candidate Profile
• Have an interest in the performing arts;
• Have experience with donor database software.
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume along with a cover letter that describes their interest in Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and outlines experience and qualifications for the position.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Linda Schulte, Director of Development
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, 210 Hazel Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63119 (no calls, please)
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis is committed to equal employment/engagement opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, gender, orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran or uniform service member status, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process.