Data Scientist Lead Commerce Bank
Job Category: Grade 10
Location: 8000 Forsyth, St. Louis, Missouri 63105
As a Data Scientist Lead, you’ll apply advanced subject matter knowledge to solve complex business issues and be regarded as a subject matter expert. By conducting statistical and mathematical analyses, you’ll contribute to the development of new ideas and methods. Data Scientist Leads provide expertise to functional project teams, serve as an expert providing direction and guidance to process improvements, creation of best practices, and establishing policies.
Company Bio: Commerce Bank
Wouldn’t it be great to build your career at a bank that’s known for helping people with their financial challenges? That’s exactly what you’d be doing when you join the team at Commerce Bank. We’re looking for teammates who are ready to do whatever it takes to help our customers with their everyday financial needs. You’d be helping yourself too, because Commerce has a tradition of recognizing and rewarding team members for their talent, skills and contributions.
No wonder we’ve been an industry leader for over 150 years and have developed a reputation as a great place to work in the financial services world. If you’d like to be a part of a team and culture that is respected by its peers and in your community, we should talk. We’re always looking for the best and brightest.
- Oversee department workflow and effectively communicate decisions, priorities and relevant information to team members
- Provide guidance to employees on departmental projects/issues, coach and develop training plans, lead development conversations and answer day-to-day questions for team members
- Act as an expert providing direction and guidance to process improvements, creation of best practices, and establishing policies
- Provide mentoring, coaching and management to team members
- Lead complex data and business analyses to develop business plans and identify recommendations and insights
- Work independently to construct highly complex statistical and financial models to forecast business performance; coach others on model development and analysis
- Establish the metrics required to measure business performance and develop the process for identifying and addressing performance gaps
- Manage complex, time-sensitive projects and prepare intelligence reports with clear implications
- Lead cross-functional teams across the entire span of business planning activities
- Contribute to priority projects by adding creative insights and developing recommendations
- Identify cutting-edge analytical tools, models, and methods for making key business decisions
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Qualifications / Requirements
- Strong knowledge of the Data Science field
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of how to analyze business problems using statistical analysis and financial modeling with ability to identify emerging trends from market and industry data
- Strong business/financial acumen and technical knowledge within area of responsibility.
- Excellent analytical thinking, technical analysis, and data manipulation skills with ability to leverage new analytical techniques to develop creative approaches to business analysis
- Strong project management skills, including leading large, cross-functional initiatives
- Developed leadership skills, including team building, conflict resolution, and management
- Ability to apply advanced statistical methodologies such as mixed model (random and fixed effects), simultaneous equations, time series based methods, and neural networks
- Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, machine learning and advanced other statistical theory
- Work effectively in cross-functional teams, having demonstrated strong partnerships with both internal and external business partners and alliances.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and organize data, work effectively with complex relational databases, conduct analysis and report on and apply results to actionable insights/recommendations
- Ability to develop and coach team members with proven ability to achieve results through collaboration and teamwork
- Self-starter with excellent decision-making skills and the ability to effectively communicate and interact with all levels of the company, clearly expressing ideas and concepts, both verbally and in writing
- Motivated and organized self-starter with strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to remain adaptable and resilient to all situations with an optimistic outlook and cast a positive shadow that is aligned with our culture and Core Values
- Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- 4+ years of experience as Data Scientist required
- 2+ years of leadership experience preferred
- Solid data modeling experience is required with proven application in applying Decision Trees, Regression analysis, Neural Network and other data mining techniques, experience with time series and experimental design.
- Advanced hands-on experience required in Statistical Software (e.g., SAS, R, Python) and big data environments (e.g., cloud (e.g., AWS, Azure), and on-prem (e.g., Hadoop), as well as traditional data warehouse environments (e.g., Teradata).