Credit Specialist I Commerce Bank
The Credit Specialist is responsible for analyzing commercial credits and preparing packets for loan committees. These packets are utilized by senior management for annual review of credit relationships, reaffirming loans due for renewal, and for approving new loans. The position reports to the Saint Louis Credit Supervisor and works directly with Relationship Managers in the Commercial line of business, including Commercial Banking, Business Banking, and Private Banking. The position provides an opportunity to learn credit analysis and an introduction to Commercial Banking.
Company Bio: Commerce Bank
How would you like to work for a great company that offers career growth and values your skills and experience? For over 150 years, Commerce Bank has built a strong reputation as a “Super Community” bank and is recognized as an industry leader. In today's growing and competitive financial services industry, we look for creative and innovative solutions to meet the needs of our customers. To achieve our results, we recruit the best and brightest employees who ask, listen, and solve to meet our customers’ needs
The Saint Louis Credit Department covers the Saint Louis Metro area and the eastern footprint of Commerce including the eastern Community Markets and the Cincinnati and Nashville Commercial Offices. This provides exposure to analysis of businesses in a wide spectrum of industries including manufacturing, healthcare, municipalities, real estate, and agriculture.
- Preparation of credit packets requires an understanding of financial statements and key financial ratios such as leverage and debt service coverage.
- Daily work includes research and understanding of loan documentation and various bank systems.
- Training is provided on documentation and systems for the first 2-3 weeks on the job.
- Regular feedback is provided and to check understanding of the analysis.
- Full Time, 40 hours per week.
- Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
- Location: Clayton office.
Qualifications / Requirements
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Understanding of financial statements and key financial ratios such as leverage and debt service coverage.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with basic financial concepts and financial statements.
- A desire to learn.
- Due to seasonality, moderate overtime of about 4-6 hours weekly is expected during some months of the year.
- Bachelor's Degree in a business related field, with a preference for majors in Finance or Accounting, or equivalent experience.
- 6 hours of Finance and 9 hours of Accounting are required.