Buyer St. Louis Cardinals
The St. Louis Cardinals are currently seeking candidates for their Buyer position. This position will support the Director of Purchasing and fellow Buyers in performing purchasing functions for all departments of the Club. This position will conduct purchases on behalf of various departments, operate purchasing software (Workplace) and serve as additional checks & balances within Purchasing Department to ensure procedures are followed. This position will be the first line in vendor management and communication.
• Compete, negotiate and weigh evaluation criteria in order to obtain the best value for the club. This includes, but may not be limited to: conducting bidding competitions when applicable, obtaining price quotes from suppliers, negotiating favorable terms and conditions and evaluating pricing and product specifications.
• Review bids received and prepare oral and written recommendations to internal requesting department with supporting justification. Once a supplier is selected, either issue a purchase order or award a contract as an authorized representative of the Club who is approved to commit funds on the Club's behalf.
• Manage the supplier process by maintaining existing supplier relationships/information, and constantly seeking out top suppliers in various markets for goods and services. Must clearly communicate timelines, expectations, and order requirements to suppliers.
• Serve as point of contact for incoming new suppliers, conduct initial research for verification purposes, and participate in supplier meetings when applicable.
• Purchase for Cardinal affiliates and manage suppliers servicing Club affiliates as applicable in other cities.
• Observe the entire Purchasing process and to serve as internal auditor through managing the record keeping process for all purchasing transactions. This includes ensuring all documentation is properly collected and digitally filed in WorkPlace.
• Ensure that all departmental personnel are completing the required requisition steps and obtaining proper authorization approvals.
• Serve as power user, internal trainer and administrator for Workplace procurement software system. Serve as internal and external conduit for everything related to WorkPlace software operations such as: monitoring supplier information and setting up new suppliers, monitoring employee routing rules and applicable users, electronically receiving goods and services, managing various department requisitions and training users as needed.
Qualifications / Requirements
Education & Experience Required:
• Associate's degree in Business, Sports Management or related field
• Minimum of 2 years of related business/purchasing/procurement experience
• Minimum of 2 years of experience building/maintaining relationships with vendors
• Strong written and verbal communication skills resulting in clear understanding by the receiver
• Proven ability to work as a team player and collaborate with others towards a common goal
• Strong negotiating skills and ability to think strategically as well as tactically in a dynamic environment
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize competing deadlines
• Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office, Outlook, etc)
• Desire to learn and grow professionally in the sports industry
(interpersonal, written, verbal, and presentation)
Education & Experience Preferred:
• Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, Sports Management or related field
• Experience with use and integration of Workplace Procurement software or other purchasing software
• 4+ Years of related business/purchasing/procurement experience
• 4+ years of experience in a supporting role for finance/procurement
• 4+ years of experience building/maintaining vendor relationships
• 4+ years of experience in sports or entertainment field
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent organizational skills, high attention to detail with thoroughness and accuracy of work
• Understanding of purchasing/procurement principles, terminology, and practices a plus
• Understanding of contractual legal language such as terms and conditions a plus
• Understanding of business in sports a plus
- « Previous Job: HR Generalist – Benefits & Compliance *Fluent in Spanish*
- » Next Job: Manager, Retail Operations