Bookkeeper Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre is hiring a full-time Bookkeeper, who will be an integral member of the organization’s Finance team, responsible for processing payments to independent contractors, recording cash receipts and payments, tax and compliance related filings, reconciliations, and general ledger accounting.
Company Bio: Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2021, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 32 world premieres and 28 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults.
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of approximately 40, which grows to approximately 500 during the Festival Season. Several hundred volunteer members of the Opera Theatre Guild provide support for all aspects of Opera Theatre’s work and advocate for the company throughout the greater St. Louis community. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $12 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget.
Independent Contractor Payments
- Processing 1099 payments and 1042 payments in a timely manner. Distributing checks directly to personnel or to appropriate supervisor.
- Monitoring the receipt of all documentation and forms for 1099 independent contractors. Verifying proper documentation is received before a check is issued.
- Maintaining current filing of all pay-related documentation including contracts and check requests.
- Acting as primary contact for 1099 payments and assisting with pay-related questions.
- Processing MO-ENT payments, preparing 1042 and 1099 forms, tax, and compliance-related filings.
- At least weekly, entering cash receipts for contributed revenue into the system using Tessitura reports prepared by the Development staff.
- At least weekly, entering box office receipts using Tessitura reports prepared by Box Office Staff.
- Keeping customer listings current and eliminating duplicates on a regular basis.
- Preparing journal entries, related analysis and completing data entry as assigned.
- Performing account reconciliations and various other accounting tasks as assigned.
- Assisting with accounts payable.
- Assisting with audit schedule preparation as requested.
- Promptly boxing and filing previous year’s documents per the document retention policy.
- Maintaining the accuracy of the general ledger by self-review of data entry.
- Support additional special projects of the Finance Department.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Two years of strong accounting/bookkeeping experience.
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Proficient with MS Office and experience with at least one accounting package.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a strong verbal communicator.
- Work as a team player.
Hours and Compensation
Salary Range: $42,000 - $46,000 plus benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume along with a cover letter that describes their interest in the position, and outlines their relevant experience and qualifications.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Mary Ip, Director of Finance
(no calls, please)
At Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, we value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to being an equal employment/engagement opportunity workplace, and will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristics, protected veteran status, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process.