Baden Branch Manager St. Louis Public Library
St. Louis Public Library is seeking a Branch Manager with leadership experience to manage Baden Library. At St. Louis Public Library, we understand that diversity in experiences, perspectives, knowledge and ideas fuels creativity, broadens knowledge, and helps drive success. Our ideal candidate is someone who is innovative and enthusiastic, understands the importance of collaboration and who is skilled at inspiring a talented team. This position provides direct supervision of staff and is responsible for the day-to-day operations of a neighborhood Library to support its diverse community. The role will require high-level decision-making in regards to customer service, staffing, quality programming, and effective outreach.
Company Bio: St. Louis Public Library
St. Louis Public Library is a true urban library, representing the historic center of the St. Louis region: the City of St. Louis. With its roots in the mid-1800s, St. Louis Public Library has a long history of innovation and service, a large and historic collection including rare books and extensive special collections, and a diverse and dedicated staff. Our technology is a major resource throughout the City and beyond, and the Library makes an enormous investment in technology annually to keep them state of the art. We operate 17 locations in a relatively small city of 61 square miles. These range from magnificent Central Library – one of the world’s great public libraries – to regional and neighborhood libraries that vary in size and design but are centerpieces in their communities. St. Louis was an early, passionate supporter of library services to children, and that remains a core value and mission. Outreach into our varied communities, marketing the Library’s remarkable strengths, and working with civic and cultural partners to benefit St. Louisans are all closely held values and goals at the Library.
About Baden Library:
● The Baden Library first opened in a former mounted police station at 8316 N. Broadway Street in 1928. The library later moved to its present location at 8448 Church Road, opening in 1960.
● 8,400 square feet
● Collection size approximation is 20,000 titles (includes juvenile, adult, and foreign language material)
● 1 Public meeting room
About the neighborhood:
The Baden Library is located in the heart of the Baden Neighborhood, not far from the Baden Business District along N. Broadway. The Baden Neighborhood became part of the City of St. Louis in 1876. The neighborhood was located on the Kansas City and Northwestern Railroad line and was known as “the Baden Station.” Since then, Baden has been home to several prominent local businesses, including Dogtown Pizza’s production site. The City of St. Louis has committed to the revitalization of Baden, assisting with a nearly one and a half million dollar streetscape project that included the installation of decorative lighting, new sidewalks, and concrete planters along the business corridor. The Baden Library has been a community anchor for residents and meeting place for community groups.
- Supervise Library staff by interviewing, scheduling and assigning work, training, evaluating performance, providing feedback, and carrying out disciplinary actions.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day operations of a neighborhood Library to support its diverse community.
- Evaluate fiction, serials, non-fiction and music in the adult collection for withdrawal, retention and performance.
- Plan, coordinate, and evaluate adult programming at the Library.
- Market Library programming and provide community outreach through attendance and presentations at monthly neighborhood meetings, organizations, and community events.
- Motivate and coach staff through effective communication and embracing change.
- Work with managers and staff system-wide to develop and execute strong public services.
- Assist in the development of system policies and strategic plans.
- Resolve customer complaints regarding policy and procedure at Library level, and seek assistance from the Regional Manager and/or Director of Neighborhood Services when unable to resolve.
Qualifications / Requirements
You will need to be:
- Friendly, outgoing, and able to build relationships at all levels.
- Strategic about engaging staff to meet and exceed library goals.
- Able to see the big picture and promote system-wide consistency and excellence of service.
- Capable of effectively presenting information to executive management and public groups.
- Flexible, positive, and willing to work with customers and staff to successfully resolve problems.
You will need to have:
- A Bachelor's Degree; or a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-2 years of experience, including supervisory experience, in public libraries.
- Strong communication, writing, and speaking skills.
You will get:
- Competitive salary range starting at $54,100/year
- Medical, dental and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick days
- Pension plan through the Employees Retirement System of the City of St. Louis
- Professional development
Current schedule: Monday 11:40am - 8:10pm; Tuesday - Thursday 9:40 AM - 6:10 PM; alternating Friday & Saturdays 8:40 AM - 5:10 PM. Some Sundays 1-5pm. Hours subject to change.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply online and submit both your cover letter and your resume. Thank you!