Accounting Manager Metro Theater Company
Metro Theater Company is seeking candidates with finance and accounting experience and an interest in theater and education to join our team as our new Accounting Manager, as MTC shifts its accounting and payroll functions from a contracted, outsourced role to an in-house salaried role. The position provides an opportunity to work with a great team to maintain the rigorous integrity of MTC’s financial records and support MTC’s financial strength – and by doing so, to help MTC grow its impact serving young people, families, and educators locally and nationally through theater and arts-integrated education.
As St. Louis’s longest-running professional theater company devoted solely to theater for youth and families, MTC creates programs on stage and in schools that have an outsized impact on the future of children in our region – empowering them to reach their full potential, providing them with opportunities to build empathy, and inspiring each of them to discover their own unique voice. By strengthening the financial underpinnings of this work and ensuring timely payments to all employees, contractors, and vendors, your work in this position makes those outcomes possible.
A part-time position, this role is anticipated to work 20-25 hours per week, with a flexible work schedule. Compensation is $25/hour. MTC is committed to long-term pathways for professional growth for the entire MTC team and provides access to on-going professional development opportunities through local and national partners for all staff.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, this position is responsible for day-to-day management of MTC’s finances, handling all payables, receivables, payroll, benefits administration, and financial reporting. A highly trustworthy and reliable team member, this role interfaces directly with all members of the staff, supporting accurate reporting and budget management with all departments. All bookkeeping for MTC is conducted in Quickbooks online, and a working knowledge or expertise of the software will be essential for a qualified candidate.
Financial Management & Reporting
- Ensure all MTC financial documentation is tracked, maintained, and retained consistent with MTC’s financial policies and procedures and GAAP.
- Maintain MTC’s books on a weekly basis, ensuring accurate monthly reconciliations for reports to the MTC board finance committee and full board. (Monthly reports generally consist of both a Statement of Activity and Statement of Financial Position.)
- Pull additional financial reports as necessary to support MTC’s operations. (Additional reports may include financial reconciliations for individual productions for grant reports or royalty payments, financial analysis to support the creation of the annual budget, etc.)
- In partnership with the Managing Director, work with the staff and board finance committee to prepare MTC’s annual budget and budgets for any multi-year campaigns or programs.
- In partnership with the Managing Director, track and maintain cash flow.
- Facilitate financial documentation required for MTC’s annual audit.
- Maintain bookkeeping of petty cash as necessary.
- Review, adapt, and improve MTC financial policies and procedures in partnership with the Managing Director.
Accounts Receivable & Accounts Payable
- Maintain timely deposits of all accounts receivables, in partnership with the Managing Director, Development Manager, and Audience Services Associate.
- Create invoices as necessary and maintain consistent follow ups for past due invoice payments. (MTC generally creates invoices for school bookings, but other invoices may be necessary throughout the year.)
- Coordinate with the Managing Director to maintain timely payments for all invoices received to ensure continued excellent relationships with community partners and vendors.
- In partnership with the full staff, ensure all payments are accurately and consistently coded, maintaining appropriate documentation.
- Support and facilitate process to expand MTC’s digital financial footprint, in both payables and receivables.
Payroll & Benefits Management
- Coordinate with MTC’s payroll processing company (currently Paychex) to ensure all MTC employees are paid in a timely fashion, with all appropriate deductions accurately applied.
- Process all new hire employment paperwork with Paychex, including eVerify.
- Facilitate the dissemination of appropriate tax documents to employees and contractors at the start of each year.
- Coordinate with MTC’s benefits broker (currently J.W. Terrill) on changes to benefits coverage for staff, including open enrollment, annual benefits renewals, and deduction updates.
- Pursue opportunities to expand MTC’s benefits package, in partnership with the Managing Director, Artistic Director, and board personnel committee.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Detail-oriented with a passion for accuracy and a personal sense of accountability;
- Thoughtful problem-solver with smart time management skills suitable for a fast-paced working environment;
- Strong communication skills to work with a variety of internal constituents across business administration, education, production, and artistic departments.
- Ability to work remotely for most hours during the COVID pandemic and beyond if desired, with weekly visits to the MTC office for processing checks for accounts payable;
- Enthusiasm for the power of theater and its ability to impact the lives of young people;
- Software proficiency in Quickbooks online is essential, knowledge of CRM systems is a plus;
- Willingness to participate in ongoing professional development opportunities;
- Three years non-profit finance experience or a CPA license is preferred; GAAP certification is a plus.
At Metro Theater, we are committed to providing an environment of both fun and mutual respect, in which equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical and mental disability, marital status, pregnancy, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. MTC believes that diversity and inclusion in our staff and on our stage is critical to our success in the workplace and across our community, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Applications for this position close Friday, February 12. Please submit a resume and a brief statement that speaks to what excites you about taking on this role, as well as your approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion. EDI is an important part of MTC’s values, and we ask you to share ways you have brought or hope to bring a commitment to EDI to your work. No “cover letters” necessary. While we ask that resumes be submitted in written form, we invite applicants to submit their statement via a written document, an audio file, or an attachment of or a link to a video recording – whatever form best supports your self-expression to introduce you to us. Please note that any final candidate will be asked to take an accounting skills test to assess your fluency with GAAP.
Please submit a resume and your statement to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “ACCOUNTING MANAGER” to apply. The MTC team is currently primarily working in a remote setting, so phone calls regarding the position may not be received or answered regularly. Additional questions may be addressed through the above email address, but no phone calls, please.