Accounting Clerk Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre is hiring a part-time Accounting Clerk, who will be an integral member of the organization’s Finance team, responsible for recording accounts payable, issuing checks, and other accounting duties to support the work of the department.
Company Bio: Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2021, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 32 world premieres and 28 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults.
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of approximately 40, which grows to approximately 500 during the Festival Season. Several hundred volunteer members of the Opera Theatre Guild provide support for all aspects of Opera Theatre’s work and advocate for the company throughout the greater St. Louis community. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $11 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget.
- At least weekly, process invoices and prepare checks for signature. Verify that all appropriate approvals are present.
- Coordinate and obtain second signature for appropriate checks.
- Maintain current filing of paid accounts payable invoices.
- Assist staff with researching questions related to accounts payable.
- Update state tax exemptions and addresses as required.
- Keep vendor listing current and eliminate duplicates on a regular basis.
- Prepare signed checks for mailing/distribution.
- Assist with audit schedule preparation as requested.
- Maintain the accuracy of the general ledger and review of data entry.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Associates degree in accounting; or a satisfactory combination of education, experience, and training which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform duties.
- Two or more years of strong accounts payable experience.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with an accounting package.
Hours and Compensation
Part-time, approximately 20 hours per week.
Hourly compensation: $18 - $19.15 per hour
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume along with a cover letter that describes their interest in the position, and outlines their relevant experience and qualifications.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Mary Ip, Director of Finance
(no calls, please)
At Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, we value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to being an equal employment/engagement opportunity workplace, and will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristics, protected veteran status, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process.